Saturday, July 31, 2010

Blogging at Work

Writing for business is MUCH different than writing for pleasure or for school. I'm not the best writer, but I'd say I'm above average. I love essay assignments in school because I always pull in an A. Well, 5 edits later, here is my first work blog:

http://www.thealexandergroup.com/blog-press-room

My content never did get edited, but I needed to be less wordy. I also needed to use "big" words like "synchronicities." I'll admit, I ended up feeling slightly unsophisticated by about the 3rd edit. Now, in my defense, our Managing Director has a law degree and a friend in journalism coaching her on blog writing, so she admits that she can't STOP editing. We have a Phi Beta Kappa at our company, and even she gets edited. Still, I have a lot to learn in terms of being succinct and writing to the business audience. It's OK, I'm up for a challenge.

Yesterday I started writing PAs, aka: Professional Appraisals. It's like the story book version of a person's resume. We give it to our clients so they can read about a candidate in more detail. It's a 14+ page document that I have to pull together the info for, dictate, get back in printed version (hopefully they don't include all the "Um's and "Uh's" on my tape) and rewrite. Then, obviously, someone will proofread it before it goes to the client. Let the editing begin!

No comments: