Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Yes, it is pronounced "Unt."



"Dear T, you are eligible to enroll for fall semester." Yay!!!! You'd think I was planning to enroll at the South Harmon Institute of Technology as my brother picked up the envelope, snickered, and said "U-N-T? You realize that is pronounced unt, right?" I didn't understand why that was funny to my friends 12 years ago when I was accepted there, and I don't understand why it is funny to my brother now. Oh well.

I feel like this is some sort of strange, full circle thing. UNT was the college I went to right out of high school on a full music scholarship. I left after a month because the violin teacher who had recruited me was mean, my dorm suite mates hated me, and I missed my mama. Yes, I was that much of a sissy at 18. I left a full ride scholarship, at a school in a state that I totally love, because I missed my mother and people made me cry. Wow.

Now here I am, a couple years later. Ok, busted... a few years later :) I have gone to some wonderful places (Hollins made me who I am, AND I got my friendship with Miss C out of it!) but due to the constant chaos that is my life, never emerged a graduate. I was enrolled at U of H Downtown last year (though it is the academic equivalent of community college so I always have a twinge of shame when bragging about my 4.0). Then life got me again and I have been out of school for a year! I got the idea for UNT from C, who has chosen to wallpaper her home in college degrees (seriously, we could get you some custom paint colors at Lowe's and it would be a lot cheaper and less time consuming). She got her Master's at UNT, and since she was living in Houston at the time and was always on her computer for classes, I assumed it was an online degree, and if it looks good on C's wall then it will probably work on mine. Luckily UNT has a true online degree for undergrads, which is what I will be doing.

So I'm really excited!! They've already lost all of my transcripts so I am classified as a freshman for now, and are asking for my application fee (which is written on a check, enclosed in the envelope with all of my transcripts). It's ok, though. I probably should have just stuck with this 12 years ago and I'd have been done with it by now. Oh yeah, and here's hoping my favorite Chinese restaurant is still in Denton. Did y'all know that it IS possible to eat sesame chicken at every single meal for 3 weeks... and when you're 18 it doesn't even go to your thighs!

3 comments:

Rosie said...

Tavia,

I have been meaning to respond to your e-mail (and I will) my 2 little ones keep me really busy. And YES I do remember you!

I just thought I would check out your blog and send you mine rosieander.blogspot.

And hey small world note. Andy did a teaching fellowship at UNT a few years back. If you were there I could have had a friend:)

Sassy Ninja said...

Edit your post...I didn't get my master's online...lol. I did the Houston satellite program...That being said...I had some fantastic profs. Good luck, T!

Sassy Ninja said...

You fixed it!

-Fire Cracker