Sunday, September 28, 2008

More Home Improvement

I am a total dork, but I am having such a good time making the house look pretty. I totally understand my mom now. I used to laugh at her when something like a new light would make her really happy. Now I wish I had done a bit more to help make her life full of pretty. I am using a lot of the materials she had picked out for our house, and it is coming together really nicely.


Our new outside lights...


Another view, with the new black house numbers...


A random shot of Lily, with Quinn's hand. He always tries to do the movie star thing and put his hand in front of the camera, but this time I got my picture perfectly anyway. Ha!


Finally, our beautiful new bathroom sinks and faucets!


We put a new toilet in yesterday, too, but I won't put pictures of the toilet up until we have our floors done. Otherwise it looks like a brand new shiny toilet next to a nasty old floor that needs replacing. I am really debating between tile and vinyl for the bathroom and kitchen floors. Tile would be a major chore, and I am not sure how much it would up the house value in the little part of town we live in. Our area is nice, but it is the more basic part of La Center... not ritzy like up on the hill. I love tile, but I am pretty sure we would be the only home that has it. Still, that could be a good thing. Vinyl is easier in terms of prep work, and I picked out a couple really nice samples that I could order. I am open to suggestions. In fact, I am going to put up a poll.

Next weekend we get our leaky kitchen sink and dishwasher fixed. What my cousin discovered when he took pictures of my kitchen plumbing to work is that the old kitchen sink, that came with the house, was not put in correctly. Shocker. That would make sense as to why we always had problems with it clogging and not working quite right. So when we bought a new sink and things were in the wrong spot, I though I had gotten the wrong sink. Now I am being assured that sinks are pretty standard, and the builders just did a whacked out job on the little aluminum nasty sink that was originally there.

Next weekend I will also finish painting the house. I have to borrow Aunty Gail's pressure washer, and then I can get the top of the house painted before the bad weather sets in. I tried to crawl up there a few months ago and clean, but the angles are so weird, and scrubbing by hand requires so much elbow grease, that I almost busted my butt up there. Hopefully when I pressure wash it won't be so powerful that I go flying off the house!

No comments: