Rub a dub dub, it's Cosmo in the tub! Waiting his 5 minutes for the flea shampoo to sit. I tried to tell him it's not so bad, I have to sit and wait 20 minutes when I color my hair!
I like this picture because you can see our girl's nice figure when she is all wetted down.
A happy bather. Is this dog ever unhappy?
Bud says "I'm outta here!" That would be my knee up by his face, acting as a road block.Now that we're mostly settled in I think I can start keeping up with the blog again. I've been reading everyone's blog on the run to keep up, but not posting any of my own. I'd love to post some house pics, but it's not quite where I want it to be yet. We have a lot of space to be decorated and a lot of walls to paint! The big project right now is the living room floor, which had to be ripped up because it was disgusting. Also see the flea control paragraph for more carpet info. We're putting in laminate, which is on order and should be here in about a week. It will take roughly a day to put in, and after that I am planning to let the house pictures fly. Until then it looks a bit crazy!
Jeff found a good deal on a projector last week, which I was a bit skeptical about until he plugged Twilight into it and I got to watch my favorite movie of the moment, movie theater size on our living room wall. I never realized the waitress in the dinner scene had a tattoo on her boob before! Not that I'm terribly excited about her boob tattoo, just that the picture was SO BIG you could see all the little details.
So, the owners before us had a dog, and I am pretty disgusted by the state of the house. The living room carpet had a lot of pee spots on the floor, and was making even me allergic. The dog run where they kept the dog was overflowing with poop and the grass was super tall. Then... we saw them... FLEAS! It has been a good 7 years since I've seen a flea on one of my dogs, so I was pretty appauled when my cousin said a flea jumped off Cosmo onto his arm. Ack! Step 1 was to mow the tall grass, as well as the rest of the yard, and spray the crap out of it. Step 2 was to tear up the nasty carpet.... which I did in haste so we've been living on concrete in our living room for the past 2 weeks (but it's better than dog pee and fleas). Step 3 was yesterday, all 5 dogs getting flea baths. I didn't get a single flea off any of the dogs. I hope that is because they don't have them, and not because I used the sissy oatmeal flea shampoo because Cosmo is allergic to the more chemical stuff. I went outside and mowed again yesterday before doggy bath time, then sprayed again, and got a flea on my leg while I was outside. I guess they are in the yard. The dogs now have that flea stuff that goes on their necks just in case, so hopefully things will be ok. Cosmo got the organic stuff and stinks like peppermint and lemongrass. He's very offended. I'm going to have to stay on top of this.
Last night Jeff was walking through the living room, looked out the front window, and I heard him say "Bunny..." and of course went running to the front of the house because not only was he at the wrong window for a Bunny sighting, but was already out the front door. It could only mean one thing: dog escape. As I got there he was carrying Marcy/Bunny into the house from where she had been in the front yard chilling and getting loves from the neighbor girl. The the little girl said "The red one and the white one went that way" and pointed down the street heading out of the neighborhood. Lucy and Lily. Jeff went and secured the gate, as I went running down the street. I really need to get into better shape if I am going to be chasing dogs down the street.
First, how they got out is ridiculous... we discovered that there is one board on our fence that has a latch on it, and it swings open. ONE BOARD. Someone apparently came by and opened it (probably one of the utility people thinking it was the real gate), and the dogs came out. My pet peeve on this house is that we have 2 gates, and the meters are in the backyard so we are unable to keep locks on the gates. We are pretty good about checking them to make sure they are shut, but who knew there was a board that swung open with a latch?!
Anyway, back to the chase. The nice thing about Texas is the weather is nice year round, so people are always outside. As I ran down the street, neighbors pointed out the direction the dogs had gone. Jeff followed me in the car. We had a hard time finding them because we live in a huge subdivision, and I was really worried about the fact that 2 of them had gotten out and I wasn't sure this particular pair would stay together. So we drove back to the house and got my car, and our phones so we could call if one of us caught them, and went out again. My first trip around the neighborhood Lucy saw the car and came running. I opened the back door and she hopped in, and peed herself (as well she should, baddog!). Then fortunately another neighbor drove up behind me to say they had caught Lily and had her at their house. Crisis averted. Today I am going to Petsmart to patronize the little machine that makes instant dog dogs. Thank goodness the Corgis are microchipped, but I think in this particular neighborhood a tag with our address and phone numbers will land them back at our front door pronto if this ever happens again. I am actually going to call the utility company as well and see if it's possible to put a combination lock on our gate if we give them the combo to it. I know everyone's had a dog escape, but doesn't it make you feel awful when it happens? Fortunately they got back safe and sound, and the boys were either too well behaved or too fat to get out of the gate with the girls.
The Corgis are bald. I don't get up a bit of dog hair when I vacuum, and nobody lost any hair at all during or after bath time yesterday. I guess it's the weather. It is really nice! I can actually see Marcy/Bunny's skin if I lift up her top layer of hair. Amazing!
Cosmo ate a watermelon yesterday. Pictures to come. It was so cute, I had to hold it for him, and he nibbled it from one end to the other. He's such an awesome dog.
Bud and I went jogging this morning, which was nice. I think Cosmo and I will go tonight. I feel like it's a bit of a lost cause since I am so far gone, but I really would like to get back into shape. The boy dogs are good companions and the weather is perfect right now, so we may as well give it a shot.
I am working from home, which is awesome (except it is hard to stay on task sometimes). The company wants a little satelite thing going on in the city we bought in, and since I have experience managing they want me to run it. There is no formal office and no quota. It's an interesting setup. Not sure if I am completely in love with the idea, but it will keep me busy and give me something to do besides just sell, which is nice. I am around to take Quinn to school and pick him up, and Lucy and Lily don't have to spend their days crated now, so it's good. For all of my feminist ways, I could really get into staying at home and being a suburban girl. I dread driving into the city, and dread the corporate bull crap even more. If I can make my same income from home... coolness.
Alright, off to start my day!
3 comments:
I have no faith in the natural flea stuff...
So I'd recommend long soaks with Cosmo regularly. Even with the gentle stuff if they sit wet for 5-10 minutes it will soften the flea shells and kill them.
I just hope the lack of undercoat isn't due to a flea allergy!
You can also make the "gates" swing shut automatically with springs or bungees and ingenuity. I'd recommend a sign - NOT "beware of dogs" but something along the lines of "Dogs loose in yard, please keep gate closed" (mom has one).
Most meter companies will work with you - ours actually goes to the neighbor's yard or the back alley to distance scan ours, some will have a call or knock first policy - especially if you stress it that your dogs were let out.
Hey Mandy, thanks for the info. I will get on making a sign, and see who I have to bribe at the meter companies to get them to maybe distance scan ours. If they can do it in Spokane you'd think they could do it in Houston. The electric company has been great about knocking first so I didn't think we had a problem, but I think there are some other utilities back there as well. I have no idea who does what around here, but I am finding out. I am also going to nail that stupid swinging board down. How dumb.
Yeah, I was a little skeptical about the natural flea stuff. Lemon Grass and Pepermint? I didn't realize that was all it had until I was putting it on him. I don't think the hair loss is a flea allergy, though, because they have no red spots or balding, and the skin does not seem to be irritated. They don't even scratch but once in a blue moon. We definitely don't have an infestation because I've been through them all with a fine tooth comb and get nothing. That yard, though... hmmm. Our neighbors on all sides have dogs. It's possible one of them has a nasty infestation and I am just going to have to really spray often, esp the permimeter.
Post a Comment