Sunday, May 17, 2009

Nails

I just flipped a Corgi and did my very first ever Dremel job on Marcy's nails! Just like "Grandma Carolyn" does at the dog shoes for her. So easy!!! Yay!!! It was the most drama free nail job ever. Woohoo!

7 comments:

Kady Cannon said...

See? You can do it. It's not like I'm that tough ;-)

Elbeepem said...

Good job! Pretty amazing how easy it is to do nails this way, huh? It really works well!

I discovered the Dremel process with my very first dog, who absolutely hated having his nails clipped. Subsequently, I've never clipped the nails - always used a Dremel tool. It's so much easier and you can do a better job.

Years ago someone on Corgi-L wrote an entire procedure on how to desensitize a dog to accept the Dremel tool. I've used it on many dogs, five of my own, as well as a number of foster dogs. It always works, even with the toughest cases - if you're patient!

If any one wants the procedure, I'll be glad to send it to you. Just e-mail me.

Baledwr said...

I'm so proud of you...dog nails, pack management...Tavia is going to become a DOG person!

Tavs said...

Yes, Mandy, it just might happen.

She actually fell asleep while I was doing her fronts, then freaked out a bit on the backs because I couldn't figure out how to hold her without dumping her on her pretty little head. So we're going to try to figure that one out tonight.

I'd love to know how to desensitize a dog to the Dremel tool. I have a year and a half year old who can't have her nails done without being knocked out. Fortunately she runs most of them off.

Anonymous said...

yay tavs and bunny!

dreameyce said...

I swear that the 'pressing' of clippers, hurts the nails. I can't see how it could feel good!

For dremeling back feet, I have the dog in my lap, head resting on my leg, and lean over the dog, with the dogs front legs under my arm. That's the only non-grooming table way I've been able to do nails.

I don't own a grooming table, and hubby says if I nick the bathroom counter again, he'll kill me, so I can't do nails there!

Traci said...

I'm SO proud of you Tavia!! :)

Chance at just over two has to literally be held down so I can do his nails... he's the WORST dog I've ever had when it comes to nails. I was toying with the idea last time, of even getting a muzzle, cuz now he's starting to snap at the Dremel. *sigh* My other dogs haven't *liked* getting their nails done (and goodness me, I can't imagine having a dog who might relax - let alone fall asleep!!), but they tolerate it, and that's good enough for me. Chance, on the other hand... *sigh* Maybe I need to give him some wine before hand ;-) It's tough to restrain a 40 pound beastie - one leg over the front half, the other leg over the back half and HOLD. *sigh*