Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Boy I Covet

As Quinn reminds me of frequently, Cosmo is HIS dog. Cosmo really IS his dog, too. Those boys love each other, and they have a bond that just won't quit. Cosmo still just melts my heart, and as Quinn does more growing up and teenage stuff, I find that I get the privilege of spending a bit more time with Mr. Mo.

Cosmo is our surfer dog. I call him our surfer dog because he is really pretty, but kind of ditsy. OK, Cosmo can be really ditsy.

He is the sweetest, most sensitive dog in the world, though. My favorite recent memory of Cosmo is when Lucy and Lily got into a fight. Lily got cut up pretty badly, and for the next few days, Cosmo laid with her constantly and licked her wounds. When I had to put Lucy to sleep, Cosmo laid next to me on the floor while I cried into his fur. This is my favorite thing about Cosmo. He is kind and caring, and very perceptive. I have even seen this dog mourn. When he was a very little puppy he was best friends with my mom's Rottweiler, Bailey. When Bailey died, Cosmo would not stop mourning. My mom actually went out and got another adult male Rottweiler so Cosmo would have a companion. Now Cosmo and Bunny are companions. They lay butt to butt, cheek to cheek, curled up, wrapped around each other, you name it. I took them both to the vet before I came to Texas (they needed heart worm tests so they could go on heart worm meds) and when the tech tried to separate them to bring Cosmo back to me (his test was done) he refused to leave Bunny and they had to let him sit there while they did hers. The tech started crying because she realized how much older Bunny is and how attached Cosmo was to her!

Cos is also quite the helper. He has to be in the middle of everything. If we're planting seeds, he has his head in the dirt back. If we're watching a movie, he is a foot warmer. If I go out to water the plants, he is right there with me.

Cosmo is the kind of dog who can steal Jeff's turkey jerky straight out of his backpack. He is so cute about it that instead of being mad, the next time Jeff goes out of town to the turkey jerky store, he buys a bag for himself and a little one for Cosmo.

Cosmo struts when he gets special food. Literally. Struts.

Cosmo like ice cubes.

Cosmo is so cool that he has flowers, and a cocktail named after him!

As the years go by, I just keep digging Cosmo more and more!

3 comments:

Traci said...

He sounds awfully darned special... *snuggles* to that horse of a dog! :)

Anonymous said...

when are you going to do one on lucky?

Tavs said...

He *is* awfully darned special :) A little bit special ed and a whole lot special heart.