Sunday, November 8, 2009

What to do with a Used Placenta

I found out the coolest thing yesterday! We can donate the baby's placenta to the Texas Search and Rescue Cadaver Dogs for their training. OK, that's kind of gross... but kind of cool! I had to ask where they went, because when Quinn was born we just put it in the freezer then tossed it on garbage day. Apparently that's still what people do (although another suggested use is planting the baby a tree) unless they want to donate to the cadaver dog team. When Jeff and I heard that we looked at each other and we like "that's SO what we're doing!"

6 comments:

Traci said...

You mean it's not all taken care of at the hospital?? I guess we learn something every day....

Anonymous said...

traci, we're doing a home birth. but the hospital usually would take care of that for you...

Traci said...

ahhhh ok. that makes more sense. brave woman, you are.... I'd be saying "you can put the needle right HERE, please" :)

Tavs said...

Well, I am going to give birth in a giant hot tub, which is supposed to help with the pain! I'm a big sissy, but hopefully it will be OK. Geez, nobody else commented on this blog- I wonder if they think I'm gross now.

starrynights said...

No, not gross. I think it's cool too. Better than just throwing it away!

(Kudos to you for doing the home birth thing too!)

Tavs said...

Thanks, Megan! I know, I thought it was a great idea rather than throwing it away. I was happy that was an option! I actually have wondered before what the cadaver dogs use for training. I guess this is as close as they can get to actual human remains.