Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dog Updates

I'm feeling the need for a blog.

The other day I posted on Facebook that I was trying to find out how Bunny can become a therapy dog. I looked into this back in Washington, and just never found anything that clicked. People never got back to me with information, etc. Well, I was looking at Carolyn's website the other night to check out the adorable puppies, started wandering to pedigrees, etc... and noticed that one of the old crew is registered with Therapy Dogs Inc. I'd never heard of them before, so I looked it up. I sent out an email to the organization last night, and they got back to me today with the number for the local person who does testing (she literally lives down the road from us). She also got back to me today, and apparently there is a very active therapy dog group right here in Katy! She's going to meet with us, probably next week if both our schedules permit, and test Miss Bunny. Yay! All they ask is that the dog be at least 1 year of age (check! Hopefully they don't mind senior citizens), reasonably calm (double check), and at ease being handled by strangers (triple check... she lovees it when people dote on her). I think we should be good!

Cosmo needs a hobby. Cosmo is DEPRESSEED. He willingly crates himself most of the day, and gives us sad eyes. We're not quite sure what to do with him. Lily used to be his playmate, but she now prefers Lucky. That is really what did poor Mister Mo in. I don't think the weather is helping him much, either (it's not helping any of us), because it is nearly impossible to get outside. We think he is a bit high strung to be a therapy dog, herding is expensive, and Quinn is convinced that the moose can't do agility. Any ideas? We'll come up with something for him, it's just fun to hear what ideas people have.

Other than that, our plants are growing like craziness. I love it! I'll post pics another time, because my phone is acting up.

4 comments:

Baledwr said...

Maybe rally obedience? It's not high impact but not as strict/formal as the "real" obedience.

Kate said...

Brother Golem is quite the moose and has thrived in agility. You might give it a try.

Traci said...

I was thinking rally too... or any type of obedience... and while Cosmo is surprisingly big, I think he's built well enough to handle agility if someone wanted to jump into that... (his sister will be starting agility training in the fall) :) Good luck finding Mo a job! :)

penni said...

Therapy Dogs, Inc. is a super organization. Inca's niche is Alzheimer units. but TD, Inc. has lots of opportunities. And it makes you feel like you're contributing as well as spending time with your dog.