Disclaimer: If you don't own a bratty, full of himself, 5 year old male Corgi you might be freaked out by this blog
I really, really, REALLY need a digital camera with video capabilities to keep in the front room.
Every night Lily and Lucky get into it in a big way, playing and wrestling and romping around the room. They're really uncivilized so they jump in the air, knock chests, and generally thrash each other. I have GOT to post of video of it soon.
I've mentioned before that the last 2 months or so Cosmo has been very, well... obnoxious. Loud mouthed, opinionated, in everyone's face, moping when he doesn't get his way. I've NEVER seen him do what he did last night, though!
Lily is kind of light weight so she gets flung across the room a lot during these wrestling matches. Last night, every time Lily slid across the floor, Cosmo would run out from behind the couch and start humping her!! He did it REPEATEDLY! We're talking probably 10 times. I know it's an obnoxious dominance thing. I'm not sure I get it, though, because Cosmo has very clearly always been above Lily in the pecking order.
What is wrong with our sweet, loving, good natured spotted boy?!
I do have a theory, which I came up with through chatting on a Facebook post yesterday and then started getting tons of emails from friends saying they had either experienced the same thing or at least heard about it. All 3 of our boy dogs have been acting strange lately, particularly the two younger ones who are 4 and 5. They are overly alert, protective, and just downright getting bossy. It has all happened the last 3 months or so. I used to tell my mom she was weird when she would say dogs can sense things (like sickness, hormones, storms coming on) but the more I've had to actually pay attention to the dogs interactions over the last couple years rather than just loving on them, I've noticed it's true. So, my theory is that they are reacting to the fact that I'm pregnant and am probably giving off all sorts of weird vibes and scents. Very weird, but I think that's what it is. I'm sure they don't know quite what to do with the changes, but the boys are hyper-vigilant lately and I can't think of any other reason. Lucky hit the window the other day when a meter man jumped our fence and came into the backyard. He's normally very protective, but not smash his body against the glass protective!
The other strange thing I mentioned in blog land a few days ago is that Lily is mellowing out in a big way. She's being sweet, loving and very calm. I hope this is just a normal development and her maturing, though, because I really don't want bouncing off the walls, stealing food off the counter, barking Lily back!
Anyway, I am constantly trying to put together all the interesting dog behavior puzzles they throw at me. I'm chalking this one up to lots of changes having them in an all out pack uproar. Some of the changes are good- I really like having a super protective dog like Lucky around. Some changes, like darling Prince Humperdink, are not so welcome! I am just keeping a close eye on everything, making sure they are well supervised, that the groups I have out together are all getting along, and that nobody is losing their temper and starting a fight.
A little side note: Bunny is at my feet as I type this, sleeping belly down and legs out to her side, having a running dream! Her little feet are going, going, going and her body is moving from side to side. If she just lifted her weight onto her legs she'd take off! So cute.
Every night Lily and Lucky get into it in a big way, playing and wrestling and romping around the room. They're really uncivilized so they jump in the air, knock chests, and generally thrash each other. I have GOT to post of video of it soon.
I've mentioned before that the last 2 months or so Cosmo has been very, well... obnoxious. Loud mouthed, opinionated, in everyone's face, moping when he doesn't get his way. I've NEVER seen him do what he did last night, though!
Lily is kind of light weight so she gets flung across the room a lot during these wrestling matches. Last night, every time Lily slid across the floor, Cosmo would run out from behind the couch and start humping her!! He did it REPEATEDLY! We're talking probably 10 times. I know it's an obnoxious dominance thing. I'm not sure I get it, though, because Cosmo has very clearly always been above Lily in the pecking order.
What is wrong with our sweet, loving, good natured spotted boy?!
I do have a theory, which I came up with through chatting on a Facebook post yesterday and then started getting tons of emails from friends saying they had either experienced the same thing or at least heard about it. All 3 of our boy dogs have been acting strange lately, particularly the two younger ones who are 4 and 5. They are overly alert, protective, and just downright getting bossy. It has all happened the last 3 months or so. I used to tell my mom she was weird when she would say dogs can sense things (like sickness, hormones, storms coming on) but the more I've had to actually pay attention to the dogs interactions over the last couple years rather than just loving on them, I've noticed it's true. So, my theory is that they are reacting to the fact that I'm pregnant and am probably giving off all sorts of weird vibes and scents. Very weird, but I think that's what it is. I'm sure they don't know quite what to do with the changes, but the boys are hyper-vigilant lately and I can't think of any other reason. Lucky hit the window the other day when a meter man jumped our fence and came into the backyard. He's normally very protective, but not smash his body against the glass protective!
The other strange thing I mentioned in blog land a few days ago is that Lily is mellowing out in a big way. She's being sweet, loving and very calm. I hope this is just a normal development and her maturing, though, because I really don't want bouncing off the walls, stealing food off the counter, barking Lily back!
Anyway, I am constantly trying to put together all the interesting dog behavior puzzles they throw at me. I'm chalking this one up to lots of changes having them in an all out pack uproar. Some of the changes are good- I really like having a super protective dog like Lucky around. Some changes, like darling Prince Humperdink, are not so welcome! I am just keeping a close eye on everything, making sure they are well supervised, that the groups I have out together are all getting along, and that nobody is losing their temper and starting a fight.
A little side note: Bunny is at my feet as I type this, sleeping belly down and legs out to her side, having a running dream! Her little feet are going, going, going and her body is moving from side to side. If she just lifted her weight onto her legs she'd take off! So cute.
No comments:
Post a Comment