Sunday, November 22, 2009

Matilda Gail Moline

It's official, we decided on a name! Can't wait to meet Matilda Gail Moline.

Matilda means "might," "strength," and "battle" and is a very popular name in Europe (though not so much here). Gail is for my Aunty Gail, and is also my middle name (though mine is spelled Gayle). Jeff really did get to contribute. He likes Matilda Gail, and Moline was set in stone, obviously :) Ewen got dropped entirely (one of the rules was no 4 name babies), so maybe I'll hyphenate my name when she's born so everyone knows I'm her mom.

Matilda is also the name of one of my favorite songs that I learned as a kid! Now that I'm reading over it I can't remember exactly why it was one of my favorite songs, but it was, so here are the lyrics.

Waltzing Matilda

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"
And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Down came a jumbuck to drink at that billabong,
Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee,
And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"
And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Up rode the squatter, mounted on his thoroughbred,
Down came the troopers, one, two, three,
"Where's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?"
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"
"Where's that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong,
"You'll never catch me alive", said he,
And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me"
And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me."
"Oh, You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me."

4 comments:

Kady Cannon said...

Love it!!

Tavs said...

Thanks Carolyn! Me too :)

Traci said...

At least the poor kid has a name now and won't be called Baby Pedro! :) Keep the belly shots comin' :) (nice to know that Jeff has a last name besides Blow, too! :) )

Tavs said...

Yeah, Traci, I always tell him it would be nice if people knew I wasn't married to "Joe Blow" but he's all about his anonymity on the computer.

I'm also glad she won't be Baby Pedro. That was pretty awful! Though apparently you're not going to be the only one calling her Mattie. Jeff walked right up and said "Hi Mattie!" the other day, I almost came unhinged :) Everyone's gonna call her that.