Monday, November 16, 2009

Quinn Is 17

Happy Birthday to Quinn!

Today Quinn is 17. Can anyone believe that? I remember 17 years ago today (when I was 15 years old, haha!) eating dinner with my mom at the table we still eat dinner at today... she was sitting at the end and very calmly said that today was the day she was going to have the baby. I asked her how she knew and she said "I just know." She told me to go to orchestra practice anyway (where I played the same violin that I played about 5 minutes ago) and when I got home there was a strange car in the driveway... the midwife. My violin teacher, who was dropping me off, made me go in the house in spite of my protests. I walked in my mom's room to see what was going on, saw Quinn's head for the first time, started crying (because hello, when you're 15 that's traumatic), and got told by the midwife to either quit crying and be useful, or go to the other room. So I held a leg, and the Quinn popped out into the world. He had a fabulous little cone head. Thank goodness he grew out of it.

Then for his 12th birthday I remember my mom and I putting him in the car for a road trip down to Medford, under the guise of taking him to the petting zoo near southern Oregon. He wasn't all that excited by the idea, because he was very disappointed that he wasn't getting a certain short, spotted puppy for his birthday, and that was all he could think about (he was in love with that puppy from the moment they laid eyes on each other). He had cried over it A LOT over the weeks, and said there was nothing he could possibly get for his birthday that would make him happy. He was still suffering from sadness when we "decided" to pull into a rest stop just outside of Medford. Imagine our surprise (hehe) when we pulled into the parking lot and saw Carolyn and Tom's van! Quinn's pretty smart... he was like "Isn't that Carolyn's van?" and we were like"Hey, how funny! They live right down the street from here!" It was obvious he didn't want to get his hopes up, but he really *wanted* to think we might be up to something :) We kept the coincidence charade up for a couple of minutes until Carolyn decided to be kind and pop the back of the van open, to reveal Cosmo! Thank goodness for wonderful friends and malfunctioning testicles. Those two are just as attached today as they were 5 years ago.

The other night, Quinn got to feel baby girl roll over and kick. He was like "Did she just roll over?" Yup. Then she kicked him really hard. He said she was going to be a spunky kid. It was like she was trying to sock him good so he would feel her! Then he said "Wow, you have a little person inside you!"

I wish I was more unpacked so I could post some of my favorite pictures of him. We have a couple cute ones from the day we got Cosmo, and we have some of him in the puppy whelping box holding Rottweiler puppies, and one of us together at my wedding. I'm going to have to go digging!

It's really crazy to look back at the past 17 years and see how grown up he is now. From cute, cone head baby Quinn to the kid who almost died of heartbreak over the puppy he loved, to almost out of high school and soon to be cool uncle. Wow.

So, happy birthday to my VERY old brother.

4 comments:

Elbeepem said...

Happy Birthday Quinn,

You were right to hold out for that little short-legged dog. There will never be another one like him!

Kathy
(One of Carolyn's friends, and fortunate owner of three C-Myste Corgis!)
http://4thedogz.blogspot.com/

Holly said...

Happy Birthday Quinn!

Kady Cannon said...

I have some cute pictures around here somewhere, circa 2003 junior handling.

How fast time passes!

I really wanted Cosmo to be my puppy "Bert", dang that testicle that didn't drop. But then, I guess I wouldn't have his half-brother Huxley.

Happy birthday, Quinn.

Tavs said...

Thanks, everyone, I'll pass along the birthday wishes!

Oh yes... junior handling. Wow that was a long time ago. I remember he used to take Marcy in for juniors, and then in Spokane he put a point on Rhett the Pem. Remember that?! It was pretty cool! He took Phoebe in once and got nothing but a leash wrapped securely around his legs :)

I know you had you eye on Cosmo to be your boy, that's why we never told you the full extent of drama there was over him! That darned testicle was so bad for you but so happy for us. You seem pretty attached to Hux, though, so I guess it all did work out :)