Trivia... does anyone know why I am taking alfalfa supplements the last 5 weeks until Matilda is born? I bet at least a couple people in my dog family know. Put your answers in the comment section, and I will log on later to tell you if you're right!
Not one to be outdone by friends, I have created my very own blog for your time killing pleasure.
Friday, February 19, 2010
You Make Me Feel Like a Natural... Gerbil
Trivia... does anyone know why I am taking alfalfa supplements the last 5 weeks until Matilda is born? I bet at least a couple people in my dog family know. Put your answers in the comment section, and I will log on later to tell you if you're right!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Its a (mild) diuretic, helps balance hormones and makes insulin work better...however I thought it was a no-no for the most part while pregnant?
Alfalfa: Alfalfa is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. Especially important for pregnancy is chlorophyll, as it aids in relieving morning sickness and helps prevent anemia and hemmorhaging. It is often recommended by midwives instead of an iron supplement, as it helps people build red blood cells.
Is this the midwives' explanation?
i'm interested in knowing . . . please share!
Mandy, I had no idea about any of those things!
The purpose for taking alfalfa a few weeks before giving birth is to prevent hemorrhaging, and also to help the wound from your placenta detaching heal better and not bleed as much.
Just doing a quick google search about alfalfa and pregnancy, it seems as though many sites recommend against it.
"Women who are pregnant should never take alfalfa supplements since they may cause the uterus to contract, resulting in miscarriage or early labor."
http://www.wisegeek.com/should-i-take-alfalfa-supplements.htm
Do you have a dr you see regularly or just a mid-wife? I would ask the doc just to be safe...
i don't have a dr I see because doctors and midwives conflict on so much regarding childbirth- the two would always be contradicting each other. i didn't know it could cause the uterus to contract, but that actually makes sense because my midwife doesn't do alfalfa until 37 weeks (my blog ticker is a bit off), when the baby is considered "full term." so i could have her tonight and she'd be fine (gosh, wish i could!). thank you for the input, though. i always want to know stuff like that because it is hard to keep track of it all yourself sometimes.
Post a Comment