Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Asian Girls Are Mean, and Hairy Upper Lips

Today I decided to join Kyndal at Glamour Nails, the token Asian-owned nail place haunted by purple haired LO ladies with fake talons and handbag dogs, and get my eyebrows waxed while she got her nails done. I'd been feeling a bit grizzly lately.

April, my waxer, took me to the little room behind the curtain, which I find completely odd for something as benign as an eyebrow wax. She started waxing my brows and as she'd take the strip away and giggle, saying "Ooooh, look at all this hair!" She was truly making me feel like a caveman now. Then, it came. Now, I'm in sales so I understand upselling... but at that very moment, she leaned in... staring... and then it came. "Aaaaaah, you like me to wax your lip, too? Ooooooh... yeah... you need it!!"

Are you kidding me?!?!!! Did she actually say that?? I'll admit, I've been busy lately, but that was just cruel. Right up there with the summer I went through a baby doll dress phase and my Asian co-worker asked me, very sweetly, if I was pregnant. Pregnant! Horrified, I texted Cheska from the bathroom, and she told me to that Asian girl needed her girl card taken away.

Anyway, I have lots of very awesome Asian friends... but the girls who actually did not grow up here... mean!!! Is it a lack of tact?? They just are so honest and don't realize it's really not appropriate? Or are they get their kicks by being mean, and covering it up with that sweet innocence? I pondered this as I let April wax my stash.

No comments: