Saturday, February 7, 2009

Doggy Bloggy...

Haven't done a dog blog in a while.

Current frustration is that I switched the kids to Nutro, which is apparently a much better quality food than what I had been feeding, but both Marcy and Cosmo are beefing up rapidly. The answer is obviously to feed less, but it is no small feat to get weight OFF a Corgi, as we all well know. I wish those recommended portions on the side of the bag could be trusted.

I won't annoy everyone with too much Lucy information because I know half my dear readers want to smack me upside the head for continuously letting vets talk me out of putting her to sleep. I have gone 2ce now with the best intentions of doing the right thing, and instead ended up with a purse full of steroids. I had a good talk with Lucy last night and told her to let me know when she is done. Her eyes are a little more dull today and I can tell it is a bad day for pain. She has some very good days, too, so I am waiting to see when her bad is too much. She is out of prednisone in 2 days. She has been on a 2 week cycle. I missed a pill yesterday and she was VERY down. Even on her good days she has to be in a seperate room, and grumbles a lot. She just always has kisses and tail wags for me, though, and she is so young. Anyway...

I've worked it out so nobody has to fly. I don't know where we will stay on the way to Texas with 4 dogs, haha! I really wanted to avoid flights, though, so we have Marcy and Cosmo in the Uhaul with me and Bud and Lily in the car. Lily in the car is such a horrible idea. She gets mad if you leave her in the car, and pees. Oh, and Bud pukes in the car. No travel plans yet for Lucy. If she makes it another 3 weeks Ican get her a flight... or better yet get Lily a flight. Lucy doesn't dare to cross Bud, so she could ride with him. Thankfully, every single one of my dogs has a crate. Amazing.

6 comments:

Baledwr said...

Well, as we discussed before, at least with the 2 week cycle you can see how well it's working.

I really do feel for you. I went thru the same thing with a back problem with Dirk. He actually was on pred for a couple years, then we tried without it before we realized that we'd run out of options and he was in pain. Over 10 years later I still feel awful. He'd be 20 if he were still with us (lol).

I'd suggest doing some google reading on long term pred effects. Again it comes down to what you can deal with as well as the dog's pain vs happiness (ie quality of life, etc).

And Lucy is a very sweet dog, no matter what remember that you saved her and enriched that life over what it had been prior.

Anonymous said...

She sits and growls at the wall Tavs. She isn't doing well at all. On top of that, she hobbles around nearly everywhere.

Traci said...

Like I said, hon... you and your brood (however many that may be) are welcome to stop over here... I'm a little bit off the 10, but it's a free place, warm bed, hot shower, and grassy yard for the doggies to pee in. Plus, Sedona would love to meet her big brother, and I would love to get a "family" photo of them ;-) I'm sure their gramma's Carolyn and Mandy would enjoy that too ;-)

Kady Cannon said...

I think that we're going to miss you on your trip south. We're leaving here Friday the 27th and heading to Palm Springs for a few days, then on to Phoenix then to Albuquerque. It sounds like you plan to leave there the 28th. Maybe we'll meet along the way?

Kady Cannon said...

Though if you want a Phoebe hug on your way through, she and Kacy are scheduled to be at Juniper's house.

Tavs said...

I don't think it's working very well because she is down a lot. She is very perky during feeding time, though. And she doesn't growl at the wall anymore, now that I moved the dog food bag. The first couple days she was growling at the wall because the dogs were on the other side, and I think she was guarding the bag. She did pee the couch today, because of the prednisone. Thanks, Mandy. At least she did have a very happy last few years if that is what it comes down to.

Traci, you're awesome. We are totally planning on taking you up on that.

Carolyn, what day are you planning to get to Arizona? Traci said you are meeting up with her, and we are going to spend a couple days in Arizona visiting with her and a couple other friends. So maybe we will meet up after all. I have a little flexibility in my trip. I need your cell number, I have no idea where I put it but it's not in my phone.