Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Updates and a debate


I've been a little busy to blog lately, but I thought this was the cutest picture. Bunny helping herself to the laundry pile the other night. I don't know how she climbed all the way up there without flattening all the blankets out! She seemed very proud of herself.

We are moving either the 6th or the 13th. It is all up in the air right now. The people buying my house are crazy. I decided to just put all of my stuff in a storage POD next week and have it shipped whenever the house closes. All I will have to do that way is get in my car and leave whenever we close. Bud is going to have to fly out ahead of us. I checked the Houston weather tonight and he could go this weekend, which is too soon, but next weekend is looking a bit dicey as it is up in the 80s and as we all know the airlines won't fly a dog if the temp in either city is above 80. The forecast doesn't extend out to the following weekend yet. I was really trying to avoid the airline game, but there is just no room in the car for 2 large dogs and the Corgis. Lily, Cosmo and Bunny will be car riders. That's a lot of dogs in one car, but the Corgis are easy.

Ok, the Corgis are easy until you try to pose them for pictures. How do you guys do it?! Especially Traci, with her perfectly posed dogs. Beth was over last weekend taking pics. She got some great ones, but it was not without effort. They just refused to do that cute little together Corgi thing, even though when we are not trying to get pictures they are permanently joined at the hip. I think at one point they actually tried to herd us. Ok, at several points. Little brats. I ended up being in a couple pics and Cosmo sat in front of me while Bunny perched in my lap. It was the only way the monkeys would sit still at the same time!

The tension in the house is thick over Lucy. That is all I will say. Very frustrating. I checked in via email with my new, down to earth vet like he asked... his response was "You have been very patient and tried all you can. Her life is not even close to adequate. Dr. So and So near you makes house calls. I am sorry for your loss." Um, as Mandy says, at least he is honest. A bit blunt, perhaps.

I am curious, as this was a huge debate tonight, who thinks it is safe for a dog to ride crated (crate tied down on all 4 corners) in the back of a truck (no canopy, just a pickup) for about 30 miles on the freeway? I am violently opposed. Am I being irrational? Bud needs to get from the airport in Houston to the dog boarder in Katy, and we are limited on transportation options as he is a car puker. I was going to rent him an SUV so he could ride in his crate and be on the inside of a vehicle. Silly? Let the comments flow!

4 comments:

Traci said...

regarding the dog pictures, I guess I'm just lucky... I tell them to sit or down and to STAY. I ease back away from them slowly and take pictures. If I make a wrong noise, or they hear something, they'll pop up, but not too often. I guess my dogs are just posers! ;-)

Regarding riding in the truck, I'd say if it's secure (without question), and you can secure the door so that a possible scared dog couldn't bust through it, I'd cover it with a sheet or something, bungy the sheet around the crate, and put it in the truck and go. MY personal opinion.

Just let me know when you'll be in my neck of the woods.... I'll be on Spring Break and will be happy to see you guys!!

Kady Cannon said...

I like your new blunt vet.

Baledwr said...

As long as the crate is secure the back of the truck shouldn't be an issue, think of all the idiot cowboys who leave loose dogs in the back of trucks.

Tavs said...

Trust me, Mandy, I was thinking of all the idiot cowboys who ride their dogs in the back of trucks!

Traci, your dogs are TRAINED. I forgot, that is the missing ingredient! Miss Bunny is trained, the only thing she refuses to do (and I hear this was her one and only reason for not passing the CGC) is stay. Stay just eludes her. She is a people, too, and she wants to hang with us! Cosmo is trained as far as walking and sitting, but that is it.

Carolyn, I said the same on your blog, but I also like my blunt vet. At least he's not fighting with me over whether or not to put her down. I sort of wish he had just let me do it when I originally went in there. It's hard to see the prednisone improve her. I would have rather done it when she was at rock bottom so there was no second guessing or guilt. Though the second guessing is going away lately because at any point that I try to back of the pred she goes back down.

Thanks for all the truck opinions! That is a good point, Traci, that the crate doors do bust open easily with a little effort. I wouldn't have thought of that! This is why I asked :) I will have Jeff put a sheet over it or bungy the opening to the side vents so it doesn't budge, and put the opening against the back of the truck so it's not facing out. Thanks!