Not one to be outdone by friends, I have created my very own blog for your time killing pleasure.
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Food Suggestions for Allergies?
I am loving on Cosmo as we speak and just realized that his mouth and chin are pink and raw. Poor boy! I switched him from crap dog food (reads "salmon" on the label, but when reading the ingredients it was mostly filler and corn) to Nutro recently. I know my mom had encountered allergies with him before and settled on the "salmon" dog food. The lamb and rice, she thought, gave him problems. Long story... there was no rash before that I recall... but some odd pee issues. Seems odd because lamb and rice is so bland. Anyway, I looked for salmon dog food in a more quality brand at the grocery store and couldn't find anything, so I did get the lamb and rice. He apparently IS allergic after all. I am going to give him a chicken breast in the morning and try to start cleaning out his system. Any suggestions for a quality salmon based food and where to get it? I have shyed away from raw due to the expense of feeding so many dogs, though I know it's great for them having seen our dogs flourish on it before. It I could find an lazy girl bagged food that would be great. If not, I may be forced to go raw for Cosmo to give him something a bit more natural. Any ideas, guys? Cosmo's little rashy face will thank you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
CardiNet is talking about this very thing right now.... try Wellness CORE Ocean or Orijen... both are not CHEAP, but they're worth checking into... alternatively, have you tried the Kirkland brand (Costco) Chicken, vegetables and rice food? Mine all do REALLY well on it.
Taste of the Wild has a Salmon based food...Wally didn't do as well when I was giving him some, oddly enough, but I've decided he only does well on pure raw. They also have bison/venison and waterfowl. Grain/Corn free.
http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
You can't get it at the grocery store (most good foods you can't) but it is fairly affordable. Most of the time it's found at feed stores (even Megan's dinky little on in Dallas has it)
I was going to suggest Taste of the Wild also. I am thinking of switching the Sid and Lacey, my two older dogs, to it. They have been on Premium Edge chicken and rice, which has been fine for them and is a really good food, but I am curious if they would do even better on something else. Have you tried Evo for Cosmo? It is too rich for some dogs, but it might also be a good alternative to pure raw.
I feed Acana Pacifica- which is made by the same company as Orijin- I was feeding Orijin but my dogs had very loose stools. I switched to Acana and I have been very happy with it and it isn't outrageously priced. Not sure where you would find it though- definitely not at a grocery store, and not likely at a big box store either- a local pet supply store might have it though. You can look online at championpetfoods.com
I have also fed the Eaglepack Holistic Fish formula and my dogs did okay on that- it is a well known brand and you could find that at just about any of the bigger pet stores.
Orijen Whitefish blend... it's our base kibble. Great stuff but spendy. Over $60 for 29.7#
Ours get a shy cup a day with cottage cheese and grnd turkey and chicken hearts or gizzards.
Talk about shiny coats!
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! I am going to take the list I have now and head to the feed store tomorrow to see which one of these I can find and start experimenting on these allergies. Cosmo did enjoy his chicken breast for breakfast this morning and rice for dinner. I think he felt special getting cooked food today.
Post a Comment