Thursday, August 6, 2009

Poll

So, I am starting to get feedback on my 2 favorite names. Matilda for a girl and George for a boy. Everyone tell me what you think. Be honest.

If we have a girl and name her Matilda, I will have named the kid after a song (Waltzing Matilda) as well as a Bulldog that my favorite wrestlers in the WWF had as a mascot when I was a kid. Yes, I used to watch the WWF with my uncle as a kid, and my favorite team was the British Bulldogs. They were really cute, had the British flag across their trunks, and brought their Bulldog, Matilda, with them everywhere. I even named my childhood fort after the dog... it was a tree fort and I called it Nature Fort Matilda and spent tons and tons of time there as a kid. Matilda is a name I've pretty much always loved and brings back tons of fond memories.

I've always liked the name George, too. My great, great grandpa was named George Ewen and I just love the name. His wife was named Effie, and I have a painting of them and have Effie's garnet set. I've always been fascinated with them since I was a little kid. Oh yes, and the nicest boy I ever knew back in grade school was named George. Whenever I tell people I want to use the name George, though, either Curious George comes up, or someone starts singing George of the Jungle. Just depends which generation they are from as to which reference I get. So George may be up for debate. Jeff doesn't like it. I think George Ewen Moline has a ring, though.

I also really like the name Effie. Like I said, my Bohemian great, great grandma was named Effie and Jeff's really awesome grandma (I've never met her, but she sends the sweetest cards, and has an amazing soup recipe she shares that combats morning sickness) is also named Effie. With the name on both sides belonging to really cool women, it seems natural to use it, and I have always wanted to. I'm not sure how to incorporate it, though. I also want my last name in there somewhere, and I would like my Aunty Gail's name in there. Jeff says I can't pretend I am southern and give the kid 5 names, either. So Matilda Effiegail Ewen Moline is out, apparently. Isn't that a bad ass name, though? feel free to make fun of me in the open and not behind my back :)

Sigh. Maybe I should stick to naming dogs.

11 comments:

dreameyce said...

I actually really like Matilda, but George, all my friends with the name George, wish they had a differnt name. Could be differnt in this kidlet's generation, but mine, not so hot.

I'm personally a big fan of double middle names though, personally of course. Dea is Deandra Ember Rose, and my niece is TiaMarie Danielle. (TiaMarie was put together to avoid a hyphen) Maybe we're just whitetrash though! heehee

Beth said...

I've already told you this, but I love the name Matilda and was thinking that if I ever had a girl I would name her that. I loved the character of Matilda from the book. But I love the name Effie too! That's really cute and old-timey. As you can see, I like old fashioned names (Hello, Linus). And George is a classic, can't go wrong with it! I would say that both those names would guarantee the kid would not be one of twelve Katies or Mikes in his or her class but these days nobody is naming their kid Katie or Mike - everyone is choosing really unique names it seems.

Tavs said...

Glad I am getting the good votes on Matilda because I'm in love with it! I have also noticed there's a trend with going back to the older names. I hope I'm picking some that people won't be using very much.

I like the double middle names, too!

Tavs said...

Right now we are referring to it as Pedro.

I don't think that's going on the birth certificate, though : )

dreameyce said...

Personally, I like Matilda Gail, and I think you could get away with Matilda Gail Effie.

Tavs said...

I was leaning heavily towards Matilda Gail, actually! I would love to get Effie in there (especially since I am not having ANY more kids!) but I guess we will see.

dreameyce said...

I REEEEEEALLY wanted Dea to be Deandra Ember Jean, to cover both sides of the family (Mine is Dee's, Hubby's is Jean's), but Hubby vetoed that....

I still regret it, even though I LIKE Ember Rose. He decided she looked more like an Ember Rose, but I feel bad for being selfish, and naming her after my family, and myself, and leaving his family out. I vote, do what you WANT for sure!

Tavs said...

My grandma's name was Jean, and I was thinking of Matilda Jean Moline... um, then I said it out loud :) It's so hard to compromise on names.

Holly said...

I really like Matilda. George is not a favorite. Have fun choosing!

penni said...

Perhaps you could reverse the George and make the name Ewen George Moline. Then he could choose whether he wanted to be Ewen(which is unique) or be George. When he's old enough to have a serious name, he could be E. George or Ewen G.

Will you allow Matilda to be Mattie -- My sister has a name that she hated all through grade school. So now I try to look at names from the child's perspective. How will having a particular name make a child feel? Will he or she be teased because of his/her name? Matilda sounds like a teasing name to me. Just my thoughts.

This from a woman whose married name was Swindle -- gag!

Tavs said...

Penni, my brother Quinn and I used to drive by a sign in La Center where we lived for a guy named Matt Swindle who was running for office and we would laugh about voting someone with the last name of Swindle into a government position! So I can imagine how bad that last name was! I don't think I would have changed it when I got married!

Quinn also thinks that Matilda is a "get made fun of" name and Jeff's mom isn't super fond of it, either...especially after reading my blog last night and finding that her grandchild could be named after a bulldog (if only she was a dog person, she would realize this was the highest of compliments!).