Saturday, January 24, 2009

Where to stay?

Need hotel suggestions. Trying to plan our move to Houston, which could happen anywhere in the next 3-4 weeks depending on when the house closes, I was thinking of who will be riding with me and who will fly (dog-wise), and also where to stay. So I am looking for dog show friend advice here...

I'll be taking the route of I5 through California (we'll stop and say hi, Carolyn... and won't make you do nails!) and then cutting over on I10 to drive through Phoenix since I have 3 friends currently living there and grandpuppy Sedona to meet! Then I10 all the way into Texas. Do you guys know of any dog friendly accommodations along the way? I know everyone has shown at least down through California, so I figured y'all might have some tried and true places you use.

So far my riding candidates are Bunny (she has first dibs on the car) and Lily. Bunny is too old to deal with the flying crap, and Lily has some odd breathing issues that I worry about. Cosmo will ride if we can squeeze him in so we can save a bit of money on airfare. We're going to trial run that tomorrow. Lucy (airplane veteran) and Bud (though I hate to do it to the old man because he'll be terrified, he is strong as a horse and extremely car sick) will fly with Quinn. I really wanted to rent a cargo van and drive them all, but cargo vans seem to be in-town rentals only.

Also, what is everyone's take on sedation while flying? What do you use, and is it a good idea? I seem to remember all dogs getting downers pre-flight and then all of a sudden everyone is against it. Some airlines won't even fly sedated dogs.

Thanks for any advice! There's an awful lot to this moving stuff. Forget packing... coordinating everyone is craziness!

4 comments:

Kady Cannon said...

Just let us know when you're coming through. You can give Fleebee a hug. (No, she doesn't have fleas.)

Haven't shown much in California for a while, and when we did it was mostly in the bay area. But there is a motel 6 in Willows that had a good dog-walking area. That's about 3.5 hours south of here, so about 8.5 from where you are now.

We wouldn't stay on 5 all the way to 10. More later . . .

Tavs said...

Thanks! That is about where I would want to stop after the first day of driving, especially if we stop and visit for a couple hours. Can't wait to hear the rest of your comments, especially about the flying. I am really curious about sedation. I've always done it and usually the vets will prescribe.

Kady Cannon said...

We've never sedated dogs to fly, but then the dogs have always been very well crate-trained and comfortable riding in their crates. They don't seem to care that they are going in a plane.

Nobody has ever seemed nervous or upset when we picked them up. Well, Alice did bark a bit when I picked her up after her Canada trip. She heard my voice but couldn't come out until customs had inspected her.

Anonymous said...

I just stayed in the LaQuinta- Lomaland -- right off I-10 in El Paso if you need an El Paso stop. It was immaculate and the staff was great.