Monday, March 9, 2009

The Last Few Days

Thursday, Friday and Saturday we moved out of the house. The storage PODS were abandoned when it became clear that a) they were not structurally sound, and b) they would not hold everything. I got a 26 foot Uhaul instead, and my cousin's husband is driving it down for me. You know, I have gotten so many perks out of being from a family of truckers. My mouth (at times) and my ability to roar with laughter at crude jokes are possibly not among them... but I've had many a road trip taken care of for me!

I am staying at my Aunty Gail's with Cosmo, Bunny and Lucy. Bud and Lily are boarding back up in La Center.

Yesterday Bethy and I had brunch at the View Point Inn in Corbett. She'd gotten me a gift certificate there for my birthday and we never got to use it. We had the most wondeful brunch overlooking the Gorge. I had wild salmon over an english muffin with hollandaise sauce, hot chocolate, and creme brulee for dessert! It was such an amazing view. If I could get married at home that is hands down where the wedding would be. Stunning. I wanted to stay there forever.

Speaking of weddings, the invitations have not even gone out yet, and I am wishing I could just change he whole thing. We found out the other day that my aunt most likely will not be able to travel because she is having surgery on her spine. She won't have the surgery until the end of April or early May, so she will be recovering during the wedding. If I had known this, I would have planned it in Oregon so she could come. Not to be drama, but the day is pretty much ruined now. My mom can't be there unless I want to pin a corsage to her box and set it in the front row (lol)... and if my aunt can't be there, either, then what the heck is the point of having a big party? Family attendance on both sides is dropping off drastically. It just really ruins the day for us both.

Speaking of things going wrong (man this is turning into a gripe fest fast) this whole move is a nightmare. I had to be out of my house so fast, and the house in Houston was supposed to be ready on the 16th and is now not going to be ready until the 18th. I really got the shaft on both ends of this real estate deal. I had to pay to change my brother's plane ticket tonight... he was supposed to go out on the 15th but there was no place for him to go so he has to fly on the 17th now. At least he has a place to stay here with family. This whole thing is ridiculous. I am sure I'll feel betteronce we are there. Seriously, though, I am almost wishing I could just sleep on Aunty Gail's couch forever. We have great conversations, watch old lady comedy, and I have 3 corgis, a wood stove in my room, and a skylight with huge evergreens up above it. Not bad if you ask me!

Alright, complaining over. Pictures to come. Aunty Gail's internet is painfully slow and I have no patience for it. I got some awesome pics of the viewpoint I want to post!

1 comment:

starrynights said...

Just remember, it's YOUR day and if not having your aunt there ruins it for you, then by all means change the date. Change the location. Do whatever it takes to make you happy. I know when I was planning my wedding, I started out with a traditional location (church in Portland), traditional dress, large crowd of extended family that I didn't even know, pretty much traditional everything and I was miserable. I realized about 6 months before the wedding that I wasn't planning MY wedding, I was doing what I thought was expected of me. My wonderful husband sat down with me and asked me what I REALLY wanted and that's when I realized that all I wanted was my closest friends and family barefoot on the beach. So we cancelled everything and started over. Yes, I felt bad. Yes, it meant we had to post pone the wedding date. But I never regretted it for one minute. And my wedding was exactly what *I* wanted it to be.

Ok, down off my soap box. I just wanted you to realize that it's ok to follow your heart. Even if it means some struggling in the meantime, ultimately you're the one who needs to be happy on your Big Day.

Hope everything settles down for you with the move and everything.