I'm not sure if anyone is even remotely interested about my goals in life, but sometimes I post things here because it is an easy electronic way to keep things around and be able to look back on them later. Last August I wrote a little blog about all my goals in life. I thought it would be fun to go back and see what I'd jotted down, and how my goals had either started taking shape or changed entirely:
1. Own a cute sports car. It doesn't have to be expensive or brand new. It just has to make me feel like I had a little fun instead of being completely sensible with my car purchase. Still haven't done this one yet! First on the list is getting my finances in order (being debt free, which I have come up with a plan for after starting in on the book "Nice Girls Don't Get Rich"). Then I really have my eyes set on the Volvo C30, which I have been coveting for several months now.
2. Travel to Australia and New Zealand. I'd like to see Australia Zoo, the Sydney Opera House, and go to some of the amazing beaches. In New Zealand I would like to explore the whole country. I would spend some time in the Auckland and Wellington, but mostly explore the south island and the unique scenery there. I think Cook Island has some animals that only exist there. Glaciers are also TOP on my list for the south. Still on the goals list, but is not going to happen this year.
3. Visit the beaches in South Carolina and stay in a beach house or hotel right on the beach. Definitely wanting to stay in a beach house, and it would be fun to try to do this within the year. Being in Houston now, the cost of the flight is much less daunting!
4. Attend Quinn's high school graduation. I'm really excited that this one is definitely on track and within reach! After our mom died, and I came into the picture, and his whole life got upheaved (or had the promise of being upheaved since he knew I wanted to go back to Houston) Quinn made it his mission to do poorly in school. Well, the last few months he has really worked his butt off and caught up. Not to mention he is also getting really good grades! I am so proud of him. I'm not looking forward to him graduating, because I would love to keep him here forever, but I am excited at how well he is doing and that he is starting to make plans for his future.
5. Get a Bachelor's degree (I start 5 of my last 15 classes a week from tomorrow!). Er... I failed 3 classes last term and landed myself on academic probation! In my defense, I had a lot going on. Of course it is impossible to defend myself, because I should have realized how much I had going on and not signed up for those classes! Now that I've started my own business, I am going to take a break from school. Once I have to devote less time to the business (possibly in the winter or next summer) I will plan to take one class at community college and go from there depending on my schedule!
6. Get a Master's Degree. They are easy enough to work through and pay for at only 36 credit hours, and they help so much in a job search these days. Plus I would like to go above and beyond the regular expectation of just having a Bachelor's. I'm not sure this is such a huge goal anymore! It might depend on how the business goes. I really need to get through the bachelor's, see how things go, and figure out what I want to do forever.
7. Have a girly slumber party at the Hotel Derek. This is totally attainable! A blender, some nail polish, room service, and maybe 2 or 3 of my closest girlfriends. I still haven't done this one yet, but I just moved back 3 months ago and am a little house and career change poor still. It will get done.
8. Wear a size 10 again. This is also something that is super attainable if I just work on it. Currently a size 16. Yikes. However, I did lose 5 lbs this week and have been eating better... and less!
9. Own a house with an upstairs loft. Not in the city, anymore. On acreage. I've decided not to waste anymore money on living close in when it's not what I want. Our next house will be in the country, and not in Texas if I can help it.
10. Own property about an hour outside of a small-ish city. That way when the world finally goes to hell in a handbasket I can grow my own veggies and drink clean water. It also must be in a part of the country or world where I will not die without air conditioning. I actually threw up from heat stroke the other day (even though I drank a TON of water) and if that happens when I am 30 I will probably just keel over when I am 60. I just started growing my own veggies and it is going extremely well!
11. Have just one dog so I can lavish attention on it. I've come to my senses. It's about having 2 cardis at all times.
12. Adopt a baby girl from China. Still a goal, but put off for a while. See a blog posting coming soon.
13. Have enough money that if my brother needs a financial bail out (stupid with the college credit cards? downpayment on a reliable car?) in his early 20s I can deal with that, just like a parent would. I think this is going to go along with getting out of debt and being smarter with money. One question I try to ask myself now is "Am I acquiring things, or wealth?" I got it from the book I've been reading called "Nice Girls Don't Finish Rich" and it has been helping me keep perspective when I feel like I just need to buy something.
14. Dump my mom out along the Clackamas River like she asked, because she knew I would be a weirdo and keep her locked up in the dresser drawer for an entire year (or the rest of my life) and that's no way to remember someone. My mom would be really pissed if she knew she was sitting in my closet in Texas. My next trip to Oregon, out she goes.
15. Take Aunty Gail on a really nice trip, out of appreciation for all she and Uncle Jerry have done for me. Aunty Gail's been having some back problems that prevent her from traveling. She's due for surgery sometime next month, and we're hoping that by next winter she will be recovered enough to travel. When she comes out here, I think we'll also head off to New York like we've been wanting to for years now, and possibly take Quinn to Boston and DC, as well. I hopee, I hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment