Quinn and I have joined the ranks of insomniacs. I understand from reading that my excuse is that this is a normal pregnancy side effect. I'm not sure what's wrong with Quinn, though. He goes through bouts of insomnia. Long bouts, for weeks, where even if he goes to bed he just lays there. He's anti melatonin, claiming it doesn't work for him. Anyone have any ideas on how to get him to sleep? I've even taken him to doctors for this in the past, and they are no help at all. One even suggested counting sheep. Thanks. He's not two. I'm hesitant to get him involved with any sort of chemical sleep aids, but this is becoming a huge problem. He keeps asking me every night for something to help him- we tried another herbal sleeping aid tonight- and here we sit at 4am. Ooh, make that 5am... I didn't realize.
The nice thing about being up this late (er, early) is that we get to see our dogs at their cutest. I fell asleep on the couch, and woke up because Marcy/Bunny gradually stole my blankets and has them hanging off the couch covering her. She was sleeping so soundly that I bailed out over the back of the couch when I woke up so I wouldn't disturb her. Lily is also being super needy tonight. She probably feels sick from all the waffles she ate this morning. She keeps trying to crawl into my lap and under the covers.
We went to Jeff's parents' for dinner tonight, and I feel like I ate an entire cow in one sitting. I've been craving beef like mad lately, so steak dinner really hit the spot. I cleared my plate, ate another half piece that someone had left, and thank goodness for mother in laws, Diane sent us home with 3 uncooked pieces for dinner this week. Among my other cravings are strawberries (I put sugar-in-the-raw over them and will eat 2 pounds at a time) and plums. Oh, and I can't seem to get enough water. I dehydrate really fast lately. I'm sure I'm grossing everyone out with the way I've been eating.
Tonight at dinner we also played Uno, the cool new version that comes with an electronic card "thrower." When you have to draw a card, you push the button on the thrower, and it dispenses a random number of cards. It could be zero, or it could be 8! Remember, the object of Uno is to unload all your cards faster than anyone else, so it puts a fun twist to the game (not to mention having cards shot at you from across the table is funny). It also has some dirty cards, like one that makes the person next to you take 2 turns drawing cards, and one that allows you to trade with another player. It was so much fun!
I'm sure that having a kid will be rewarding (unless it is like me as a child, which is what my mom cursed me with long ago) but right this second I am wishing I could just have a puppy. Puppy please? I feel like barfing constantly. I don't actually GET to barf... I just feel like I really want to. This first hit me yesterday, and I had to bail out on a fun day at the museum I'd been planning with friends, because I A) Did not have the energy to drive there, and B) Was terrified that I might barf in the middle of the museum. The barf feeling is hitting me right now, which is my inspiration for this section of the blog. Typing on the computer definitely induces the barf feeling. I had a "Gotta go!" moment while chatting with a friend on messenger yesterday. Oh yes, and enter tired all the time. I will pass out cold on a car ride (which is probably to avoid the barf feeling, which a car ride also inspires these days). Oh, and I apologize to any guy readers... skip this next line... what is wrong with my boobs?! They feel like a giant bruise. If I so much as lean forward to change the dog water, or lift my arms over my head to reach a glass in the cabinet... they hurt! What the heck is that about?! My final issue to complain about is hormones. It's kind of like my favorite line from The Cutting Edge, when the Russian skating coach said "Always is coming the Big B... What a bitch." I hope someone has seen that movie, can hear that line in the Russian accent, and just got a good laugh like I did. All I read every week in the Mayo Clinic book is "Your body will be producing more hormones this week." Is my body ever going to STOP producing more hormones? The thing that got me into this mess is my lack of tolerance for extra hormones coursing through my system. So this body producing more of them thing is really not a swell idea. I don't think I've been this emotional since I was a teenager. I cry, I yell, I dislike most everyone... Some people have said that I can control this mood stuff. I have yet to figure out how, though, short of locking myself in a room. Even then, it just keeps others from suffering with me. Oh, and I lied, I have one more complaint. My right foot is numb all the time now. It's been numb for several days and it's really uncomfortable. It is always slightly numb, but gets much worse when I eat sugar. Idiot here had ice cream with homemade hot fudge sauce for dessert tonight (but it was SO GOOD!), and part of why I can't sleep is that my foot is completely numb. I may have to go to extreme measures to make sure this pregnancy thing never happens to me again! I think that "Grandbaby #10 (this will be its count in the grandchild lineup for Jeff's parents) will be our one and only contribution, unless we adopt... which is actually what we planned on anyway- have one and adopt one. Geez, I really, really just want a puppy! Not to sound ungrateful, because I have some friends who really want kids and try a really long time... and it sort of just came easy to us... but this is really not a body friendly process! I'm definitely not going to be one of those people who just loves being pregnant or really just has to do this again after the first time... HELL no, this is rotten stuff!
I really didn't mean for my blog to turn into a pregnancy rant, and I kind of feel like the blog ended on a not so fun note, but hopefully some of you "Been there, done that" moms will get a laugh out of it. I'm going to try to go to sleep now. Jeff just woke up, which means the snoopy blanket is available, and that sometimes helps. It's the most comforting blanket ever. I don't know how his sister made it, but I want one of my very own. It's awesome! Andrea, if you're reading this, how did you make it? I think Jeff said it is 2 layers of fabric and some batting in the middle- the material feels cool all the time, but when you cover up you stay warm, and it is just the right amount of cushy. Mmmmmm.
Other than that, I am dying to see New Moon! I don't think I've ever been this excited for a movie to come out. I know the Twilight books are totally teeny-bopper, but I love them to death. The first movie wasn't that great, but it was fun to watch a book I love so much on screen, and it was so cool to see a movie filmed in Oregon City, near where I grew up, so it's a very nostalgic movie for me to watch! I found a book the other day called The Making of Twilight where it showed all the sets and places they used. I almost bought it, but I figured that might be a little over the top. I may go back and get it, though, because it was really cool to see Multnomah Falls, and the carver Cafe, etc in the book, with really great pictures! I'm sort of disappointed that they decided to go the Hollywood route and film in BC for this next movie, but it probably made sense to use a real studio with all the special effects they are doing. Anyway, I know it will be a pain to get tickets with how popular it is, but I am still really excited to watch it in November when it comes out.
Ok, I guess I really should try to sleep now. I have to get up and start working in 2 hours! Thanks goodness for working from home.
Oh yeah, speaking of working from home... I made money this month! I've made money each month since I've started, but nothing significant that served any purpose other than making my car payment or buying groceries. This month, however, I made just as much money as Jeff did. Woohoo! To celebrate, I went out Saturday night and bought the dogs their Farm Stand Selects dog food again! I have to work really hard to maintain this for them, because they have been VERY excited about meal time since I got their food again. It's turkey with dried veggies and tons of herbs. I think it's the most wholesome ingredient list I've ever seen on a bag of dog food. OK, maybe I've seen more wholesome, but I'm struggling to be in the $2/lb dog food range right now, so I am ignoring the existence of the Salmon stuff I used to buy for Cosmo, which is double that. Totally workable for one little dog, but not so much for 5!
Ok, off to make chocolate milk for the teenager and then really going to try to get some sleep!
3 comments:
Oh yeah. I think that the women who "love" being pregnant are very, very few and far between. Most of us, if you get under the surface, at very best tolerated it. :) I had pretty easy pregnancies both times and still hated it. LOL!
You'll most likely feel better in the second trimester. :)
Ugh. Thirty-plus years later and I still don't have fond memories of it. In fact, I have nightmares every-once-in-a-while where I'm pregnant.
The insomnia comes back when you start going through menopause.
I keep hearing the second trimester thing. It's a month away, I guess, so hopefully it will be better. I just want it to be over with.
Nightmares, huh? And more insomnia? Fabulous, Carolyn! Hormones suck, do they not?
Dogs have it so easy with the 9 week thing! Though they have an entire litter, so maybe that's the trade off.
Post a Comment