I am struggling to keep up with the blog, wondering what I can say these days that people will actually find interesting, since I seriously don't get out much!
Cosmo's 5th birthday was on Thursday. We almost forgot it until Kate gave a big Happy Birthday to the "C" litter on her Facebook page. The funny thing is, Quinn I had been discussing Cosmo's birthday the night before and were feeling bad for missing it (we're all mixed up around here, since Texas schools start in August we think it's September). So thanks to Kate for saving the day! Cosmo got a big angel food cake, which all the dogs got a bite of, and then the humans got the rest. Stingy, I though, but Quinn won't let me give his dog anything that is unhealthy or would potentially shorten his life expectancy. Poor Mo. Then last night we had a Lumpia party (filipino eggrolls) with our friends Nam, Rachell and Lexie. They decided it was still Cosmo's birthday, so they gave him little bits of eggroll. Spoiled dog!
Speaking of eggrolls, Marcy/Bunny did something I had never, ever seen from her last night. I now leave just the Corgis out when we have get togethers, since my other dogs are insane, unpredictable monsters with each other during social gatherings (or, in Lily's case, just completely annoying). Lexie was our designated cook for the night, since she loves frying the eggrolls, and Marcy is her favorite dog of all time. This means, of course, that even though I told her not to, she gave Marcy little pieces of eggroll when nobody was looking. Well, we didn't have to see to find out what she had done, because pretty soon Marcy was CHASING Lexie around the kitchen. At her heels, harassing her, hopping, and her eyes were huge and frantic! This went on for a good half hour while Lexie finished cooking, then whenwe sat down to eat, guess who had dogs at her feet. We probably should have helped poor Lexie, but it served her right, so we tried to hunt for the video camera instead. Unfortunately we didn't get any video, but trust me, it was hilarious. Later, Cosmo joined in, with huge drool strings rolling down his chest.
I've been working on Marcy/Bunny's nails again. I realized that other day that I had been slacking on the job while not feeling good, and things were getting to a bad point (no pun intended). I figured out yesterday that if I put the Dremel at a 4 the noise doesn't scare her so much (and it is actually the perfect speed for sanding) and she will lay on the floor on her side while I do nails. That makes life MUCH easier for me, because I was having a really hard time supporting her long body while doing her nails. I also don't have to change into less hairly clothes afterwards, either, which means I could probably start making this an every other day event right now until her nails are where they need to be. Her quicks are ridiculously long and she's so sensitive. I womaned up last night, though, and took a lot more off than I usually do in one sitting. She was pretty calm about it. The only problem is that she's still a punk about her back feet for some reason. If she was the same size as Cosmo (aka: The Moose) I would just sit on her like I do to him, but I feel kind of bad since she's such a dainty girl, and lots of things startle her these days. Any tips on getting the backs without her tripping out? I am waiting for you all to say "Just sit on her!"
I'm a little bitter about missing fall this year. I am trying to remember what people have told me about choices, blah blah blah (as you can tell, I don't like hearing about dealing with my choices, which I sometimes find to be bad ones after the fact) and suffer through a HOT fall, which is just wrong. However, I am looking forward to winter here in Texas, when it is cold but still sunny. I have to admit, that is a little better than rainy and dark (at least for extended periods of time). I've decided that I just need a second home, so I can spend summer and fall in the northwest, and winter in Texas. Then of course I would have to do Christmas in the northwest because a sunny Christmas is just wrong- I am already dreading my first Christmas in Texas. Then Spring would be in Texas, and back to summer and fall in the northwest. It's similar to what I used to do when I still had the Washington house. I would save up all my vacations and spend 2 weeks there at Christmas, then close to a month or more there in the summer. I guess it's my own fault for not being a gazillionaire by now and having 2 homes. I'm definitely having Dorothy syndome... "There's no place like home, there's no place like home."
3 comments:
Sit on her...
Sit on her gently? I can be a wuss about sitting on the small girls too. Maybe you can just throw a leg over her.
Add me to the list of people who vote for having a winter home and a summer home.
I knew you'd be the one to say sit on her, Mandy! I sat (more hovered) over her the other day and got the back nails done. I should take a picture of all the divets in my own finger nails where I missed and got myself! She's a wiggle worm with the back legs, and was very indignant about the whole thing! If she had a voice she really would have chewed me out.
I know what you mean, Carolyn- I never feel bad handling Cosmo like that. I'll sit on him, clamp my thighs on either side so he can't squirm, and then lay an arm down on his chest if that's what it takes (and a lot of times it DOES take all that).
Post a Comment