Monday, July 20, 2009

Interesting News

I have been away from blog land lately because we decided to change internet providers, and the new one can't seem to get us hooked up! I mentioned to them today that this was not the best way to start our relationship together, but we will go with it anyway, because even though they are incompetent, they are very friendly. That's one up on Houston Comcast (incompetent and unfriendly), which is our only other ISP option here. So here I sit, jacking an unsecured wireless connection from one of our lovely neighbors while I blog and work. I am a bad person. If I knew which house it was from, I think I would bake them a batch of anonymous cookies.

So I have a bit of an announcement. It may be a little early, but I may as well just throw it out there. We're expecting a new addition to our family! Nope... not another dog. A very small, human addition, expected around the end of March. Jeff and I were both accidents (though his very kind mom refuses to call him such since she planned to have more kids... just not neccessarily at that moment). So I guess it makes sense that we are, um, accident prone ourselves! This was definitely not planned, and we are taking quite a bit of ribbing since we just barely got married. Let's just say we're not idiots, call it a malfunction, and leave it at that :) At the very least, we are cramming every possible major life change into one year... move, house, marriage, baby. If we haven't killed each other by our anniversary, I'd say we're in pretty good shape!

It's about a year earlier than we were planning for, but I think we're starting to move past the "Oh crap" and shock and starting to get a little excited. We only want 2 kids, and were planning to have one and adopt one... so now the having part will be out of the way! We spent the weekend making sure I was properly insured and reading about different options for care and birth, so it's not such an out of control and worried feeling now. I think we are both pretty nervous still, but it will be workable. Quinn seems very excited about this, and I have a feeling the 4 legged hairy crew will be very excited (and probably confused for a while) once we have the arrival. Thank goodness we have a very mentally stable pack now.

I think I am reverting back to my northwest roots pretty strongly, as I am trying to remember how to tie dye so that I can tie dye some onesies, and leaning towards a mid-wife for the birth. I have a few to call today, so I will see how it sounds.

14 comments:

Traci said...

OOOOOOOOH
MYYYYYYYY
GOOOOOOOSH!!!

Congrats!!

I honestly welled up with tears reading your announcement! i'm so excited for you and hubby! :) *hug*

Tavs said...

Thanks, Traci!

Tavs said...

I hit publish too soon. I meant to give you a *hug* back and say I want to see you soon! I always feel like we're so close now, but I guess it really is still a 2 day drive!

dreameyce said...

HUGE congrats! Dea (My 4 year old daughter) was a HUGE surprise. I was on depo provera, the 3 month shot, and wasn't late for my shot when she was conceived. I'd been on depo a few years and in school when I got pregnant.

Because I didn't have 'that time' while on depo, I didn't even know I was pregnant until 3 months later, and only because Curtis insisted I was pregnant, and it took almost a month of him telling me, to talk me into taking a pregnancy test to prove him wrong! When I went in for the official test at the Drs office, the nurse didn't WANT to, because she said I "Couldn't be". Haha! Dea is quite the little trickster ;) My big worry was the depo, since I'd have the shot while pregnant. Scary! Luckily, I'm a healthy eater so other than the depo, didn't drink, and ate healthy the first trimester (And CRAVED bok choy, and cabbage... CRAVED!!)

I can't really say anything good about the marriage part sadly, since Hubby and I are having serious talks about the 'Big D', hoping we can work through problems instead, but I am grateful we're still friends, and can still spend time together with Dea. Your marriage will likely do much better than this one, and also I keep reminding myself all couples have those trying times, and I hope this is just one big trying time!

Kids, and dogs are SO fun though. I have a blast with my daughter and the critter crew, always out having fun, and it's so great to show her the world, and to see the glimpses of how she sees the world. I never thought I'd like being a Mom, but as a Mom, I love it, and hope to adopt in the future if I'm able to.

Hopefully you're not dealing with morning sickness! I felt GREAT my first trimester, then about 1/2 through my 2nd, couldn't hold anything but light salad, spicy mexican, asian, and pepsi down. Even pasta made me gag! Remember to document your weird cravings, as they're easy to forget, but FUN to remember! One of mine was dark chocolate (Like bakers chocolate) and pickles. I'll NEVER live that down!

Kady Cannon said...

BABY!!

Cool.

Baledwr said...

OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!

Jeri said...

Wow congrats!!!

Tavs said...

Emily, that is a really cool story! Sorry, not the part about your marriage right now, but I will send good thoughts your way that things work out there. Life has so many ups and downs, and relationships are SO HARD sometimes. Very interesting about how Dea just gave you a big surprise, though!

I had decided to give birth control pills a try again, even though they make me a nauseous evil monster, and this kind I tried seemed to be the worst yet. I went into a massive depression- in fact I was going between depression and violent anger spells. I stopped them cold one day when nobody in the house including myself take it anymore. We decided to try other methods of birth control, but... FAIL!

At least now I will have someone cuter and more convincing than myself around to bat eyelashes at Jeff and convince him we need a puppy in a couple years :)

Tavs said...

PS: No morning sickness yet (though I hear it starts in around week 6, and this would be the first day of week 6 from my calculations). Ack!

I have been craving LOTS of milk. I drank almost an entire gallon one day. Oh yeah, and green beans. I absolutely cannot get enough green beans. Fruit, either. I've dropped 5 pounds because I just crave insanely healthy food right now, and smaller portions, too. It's like your body forces you to be healthy. Except for the one day I was ready to tear the door down unless I got Buffalo Wild Wings smothered in Asian Zing sauce, but that was an isolated incident and could very well have been "normal Tavia" coming out.

Yes, Mandy... OMGOMGOMGOMG!

penni said...

A surprise, but a good kind of surprise. I craved tootsie rolls and after I had my older son, my doctor brought me a bag of the mini tootsie rolls -- definitely not as healthy as milk or green beans or bok choy or cabbage -- but, as Emily says, fun to recall later.

I hope all goes well. Do you have a theme for this first litter?

Tavs said...

I think the theme is Old Fashioned. If it's a girl the name is Matilda and if it's a boy the name will be George. Plus it has to be a cool baby, able to wear tie dye and walk Corgis.

Baledwr said...

Henry's middle name is George :)

starrynights said...

WOW!!!

I'm so happy for you guys! That's great.

I hope you don't have any morning sickness (or mid day, or evening or night sickness either). Mine started right at 6 weeks and didn't stop until Isabel was born.

Needless to say, I didn't have too many cravings, since I couldn't keep anything down. But I especially couldn't eat tomato based foods and mexican food. (Which is ironic because my daughter loves chips, salsa, black beans and mexican rice...!)

I do remember craving Reeces Pieces once during the pregnancy and ate a whole bag of them in like an hour. Boy did those hurt coming back up!

Congrats again!!! So glad we have blogs now so we can get constant updates throughout. Woo hoo!

Tavs said...

Thanks, Megan! I am getting horrible nausea. It started saturday, and it is worse in the morning. I haven't thrown up yet and really hope that doesn't start! I do get those burps that turn into a little more than you bargained for, though. So gross.